Monday, September 30, 2013

A Lunch….NOT much satisfying...

We are living in the times, where Hype surrounds anything that comes forth and shapes our judgment of weather that thing is good or bad.

So, the same happened when “The Lunch Box” was released. It has been critically acclaimed and most of the sites and critics are giving it min. 4 out of 5 stars (which is pretty impressive). Hell, the producers are fighting and creating a furore over why “The Lunch Box” was not sent as an entry for Oscars from India.

Being a die-hard fan of good cinema, it was natural for me to develop the itch to see such a critically acclaimed movie :P. So, after fighting for 2 days with BookMyShow and Cinemax websites (which had some connection error), I decided to go on Monday and had to buy tickets from the window ( Imagine, so archaic L ).

Nevertheless, went in the hall, the movie had already started. Thankfully didn't miss much ( Hate that).  The story slowly started taking shape, a bit slow in the beginning (I felt like watching Ship of Theseus  again, which was a torture), but the story then picked up. A lot of critics have said that acting has been quite good, but I felt maybe the script couldn’t do much justification to the talent of Irrfan Khan and Nawazuddin Siddiqui.

Addition of a little humor here and there kept the movie going and made the pace bearable. Although, it has been tried to show emotional state of two very different people, who are incidentally alone in the maximum city, the effort was not that convincing. I for one couldn't connect with any of the characters anywhere.

Anyhow, the story picked up a bit after interval. A little frenzy after the movie helped define the pace. There are some very good scenes like the ones which draw parallels simultaneously in both Irrfan and Nimrat's (the heroine) lives e.g both are somehow listening to same song, both have heard same idiomatic phrase from somewhere ,  to show that they might be somehow connected by destiny.

Will not spoil your mood by disclosing how the movie ends, which they have tried to do in an artistic and philosophical style, but I felt fell short of a couple of nuances there.

All in all a decent movie (not a good one). In an attempt to make an artistic work, it came out to be a bit on gloomy side (one of my bubbly friend is in depression due to this..hehehe). You can watch if you like a slow movie or like to join in the herd, so that you can brag to your friends you watched art cinema. You can definitely skip if you don’t want to do either of this.

Verdict: In terms of stars, I’ll say 3 out of 5 is more than enough (only for acting; script and execution fails miserably).It failed a bit as an art cinema and a little more as the mainstream one. 

Well, again, it’s only my opinion. If yours differ with mine, do share with me in the comments section below.  Will love to hear from you reg. my review or the movie.

Till then, keep smiling. J
Cheerio
Dj (Digvijay )

PS: Even I don’t think it should have been an Oscar entry( and I swear, I have not been paid by “The Good Road” people to write this  :P ). 
You can like me and follow me on Google+ by clicking buttons just below my Pic on top left or mail me at digvijay005@gmail.com. You can find me on Facebook and Twitter(@Digvijay05) also.




11 comments:

  1. havent seen d movie though..but one thing u reminded is ur habit of nt reaching cinema on time.. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sale I always reach on time.. Jay dnt reach.. I was late by 2 min only today... :P
      Avoid movie if U can...as per me.. ask ur pabi nai toh...hehehe

      Delete
  2. I also hve been waiting to watch it .. but yr description draws a picture in mind and it is nt allowing me to go. Will watch later. Well written. Thank u for saving my 200 bucks :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahaha... anytime dude... ;) That's why I'm here for... ;)

      Delete
  3. Digvijay,
    This happens most of the time, I felt, that when you go watching a cinema taking your critical mind with you. Technically you are not an inch wrong.But its been a long time I have'nt seen a smooth paced movie and it's relaxing for me. You need not boil your adrenaline or make any strong message again the movie tried to enter into a philosophical arena which is bad. Again why be critical ? i enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Samir,
      Thanks first of all for taking time to read the post and comment on same. And yes I fully agree with you that the movie is indeed quite relaxing and smooth paced.
      But as I have taken the onus of being a critic (Read Name of Blog--MildlyCritical :D ), I have tried to paint the picture about the movie and will have to in future for other things also.
      Again, these are my views and good to know you enjoyed it..a lot of others did too.. But can't stop being at least MildlyCritical..hehehe...
      But do keep reading and sharing your views..Cheers..

      Delete
  4. I suppose I was expecting a great movie with all those 4+ ratings, so watching the movie was a bit of a let down. Why the director wanted to hide the mobile phones was a mystery. And why the confusion about whether to make him retire or let him continue. Irfan was okay but he shud have handled his cigarettes better. Siddiqui's character is quite odd in a government office! The plot drags too towards the end. He shud have called it quits after the restaurant scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely agree with you JDabbiru... Thanks for reading and commenting... Hope to see you soon for my next post... Cheers.. :)

      Delete